Thursday, March 1, 2012

Getting Lost, Adapting, and Goofing off in Seoul!


The first week at our school is coming to a close. It's been slightly crazy, mostly fun, and definitely exhausting! I made it to the dorm house, which has 21 people living inside it. Or actually 20, since I think a girl is not coming. 10 boys upstairs, 10 girls downstairs. We share a kitchen and 4 bathrooms. The students are from all over... including Korea, since we have 3 "RA's" of a sort.
When we met, we mostly just talked and figured out why we were each here. I'm pretty sure I've stayed up past 1:30 every night, and most nights past 2:30. Ha. We'll survive!
The next day we tried to find an E-Mart, Korea's Walmart of a sort, by google searching it. Aaaaand... not a good idea. Bahaha. So we found the bus stop with little trouble (the one by the floppy men!). And we got on the bus that google said to get on. But... my T-money card wasn't charged and none of us really had change. So at the front of the bus we just sat there trying to figure how much money we owed so we could pay... it took waaay too long. Then we realized we had no idea what stop to get off at. So we debated on how to ask if it stopped until I just asked "이 버스  이마트  가요?" - "Does this bus go to Emart?" and he said "Oh! No!" And we had nooooo idea what to do. So we just sat there... waiting. For something. And finally an ajumma got on the bus! And the bus driver asked her about Emart, and she knew which stop it was and told us when to get off! It was too sweet. And then we couldn't find it again. So after working up a lot of courage, we stopped a person in the street and said "Emart? Emart?" But... he didn't understand. So I said "이마트?" (which sounds like ee-maht-teu) and he knew exactly what I was talking about. Hahaha, I love Konglish. So we found it with his simple directions!


And after that we managed to order and eat some delicious food! Without a Korean! And no trouble! But the guy knew English, so we were cheating.

And later... This food to the right was ordered with a little bit of trouble, heh... Just a group of exchange students came this day, with no Korean. So we walk in the restaurant and look around... so, there are no pictures! And the most of the others don't know how to read Korean, so Toni and I are trying to figure out what things are... and the couple who own the restaurant are trying to figure out what we want, with no English, and everyone is super confused. Haha. And then, the wife calls someone! And hands the phone to me! And its a guy who knows English! Bahahaha. So, we ordered our food through phone translation. It was hilarious, but so kind of them! I love Koreans...

Check out the street food! Soondae and fried stuff! Woo!



The next day was orientation, in which we learned all that is essential, and basically, you don't want to hear about it! I got all my classes and none of them are before 10:30, so I'm set!

After that, the weekend, including Friday, was filled with touring with the other students, volunteering with a church, and attending a church as well!
Saturday, a large group went to Seoul with two Koreans, so we didn't have to work much, actually. It was great! We went to Insadong, saw the outside of Gyeongbokgung, and walked down the Cheonggyecheon!

Precious earrings in Insadong

Me, Hui, and Paulina

A street singer in Insadong!
King Sejong, Hui, and I
The group at Cheonggyecheon!

Hui is hitting Han with poop!
We're not flipping people off! We're giving the victory sign! I know it looks weird...


On Saturday, I woke up at 6:00am with Barbara, another student, to go volunteer with a group from Onnuri Church! We were volunteering  with  the elderly ministry, and we were going to carry these coal bricks up into the poorer parts of Seoul. The coal bricks are used for heat in the winter by people who can't afford normal heating. It was work, since each one was 3 kilos, but it was rewarding! I loved the people I went with. On Sunday and headed out to Bundang to visit a church with a Korean girl I met, Soomeen. It was a great service, in english, and the people were very welcoming!

And on Monday classes started! So far they've been good, and I'm quite happy with each of them! More has happened than that, but I'll get into that later. The busyness is tiring but good! I'm having a lot of fun living in a house with 20 people. It's one of those things most people won't get to experience (and may not want to) but I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible!

Music video? Hahaha, I couldn't resist! This is so Korean...



-레이첼

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts! Or make fun of my ridiculousness! Or encourage me! It's your choice.