Saturday, March 24, 2012

BIG News + Old Video Updates

What's Up?


To use a common English idiom, I'm going to hit two birds with one stone and use this post for two things: announce some news, and explain and post links to some of my older videos.

For the news: I'M STAYING IN KOREA FOR ANOTHER SEMESTER!!!!
Yeah... that's all. Not really! It's amazing how it happened, actually. I hadn't even considered it when I came here first, because, yes, this will push back my graduation date by a semester. Not sure if you knew, but I'm actually not taking any useful classes here... it's all for fun! But I really do want to learn Korean, and one semester isn't enough (a year isn't either, but you'll see why its a good idea). So I started thinking about it in church, actually. I think they had announced a volunteering opportunity that I couldn't do because I couldn't commit 6 months of my time to it, because I'm only here for 5 months. And I got to thinking... what if??? I was very wary (due to finances, graduating late, "what would I do for the summer?", and "would it be worth it?") of getting excited. For a while I could have done either, stay here or go back, and be happy either way. But one day, Monday the 19th, everything sort of fell into place. For one, I got an email from a school for North Korean refugees, saying that they would love for me to tutor their students! How amazingly awesome is that? I still haven't worked it out exactly, but they said they would let me, so I'm just praying it will work out now. Here's the link to their blog: http://heavenlydreamschool.blogspot.com/
Next, I found out that they would give me the scholarship again, which I couldn't have stayed without. Third, they said that we could stay in the dorm house for the whole summer for free! Yeah. Crazy. And the last thing that sealed the deal? We're allowed to take classes at the Korean Language Institute that is connected to our university! Crazy! Without any one of these instances, I still would have been on the edge, but it all worked out really well. I still haven't made it official, since I need to extend my visa and all, but the wheels are in motion! I would appreciate prayer, since this is a pretty big thing you know, staying in a foreign country (though it honestly doesn't feel foreign anymore!) for a year. And my poor family! Haha, they'll be fine :-) So, there it is! That's my news! I already shared it on facebook, but this was the explanation, if you wanted it!

Video Updates

I have been very bad with my updates in general. . . There's hardly any time here! Haha, as if I would have time anywhere else. . . But I realized that I hadn't posted any videos on here, though there are a few. I have posted them on facebook, so if you're friends with me on there, you've probably seen them if you're interested. But for all my followers who don't have facebooks, here they are. And I'll explain them too!

This video is not particularly exciting... it really is just a mash-up of the videos I took my first two weeks in Korea. Not much to explain!



Here we are, at a Wii Cafe! It is similar to a noraebang (karaoke room), which I have blogged about before, in the way that you rent the room by the hour, and it is private. So there was a Wii console and four remotes (I went with two Korean guys and an American one) and we could choose which game we wanted. They had a lot... Apparently they're illegally downloaded, haha. And here is a lovely display of it! Tennis and Just Dance. So embarrassing... but very fun!



And finally, here is our homework from Korean class :-D With loosely (ok, very loosely) translated captions! We're demonstrating our ability to introduce people and ourselves. And... this video is based on something that happened to Hui and I, actually... and it's become a sort of inside joke among all the international students... but I can't go into it on the internet! Sorry! Hahahahaha

1 comment:

  1. your video clip(jurney to S.Korea) is very interesting!! ์ž˜๋ดค์–ด์š”:) -Khan-

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts! Or make fun of my ridiculousness! Or encourage me! It's your choice.