Sunday, February 12, 2012

Of Flyin' Seoulo and Palaces


Flyin' Seoulo (Ignore the terrible pun.)

After seeing Ssamziegil, Si Yeon had to be picked up, so her mom told me I could stay out by myself, or I could return with her. In a snap decision as she walked down the stairs to the 지하철 (subway) I told her I would "uh. . . stay here?" So I did. I just started walking around, and as I sat confusedly perusing my 10 year old guide book, a pair of women bedecked in red "TOURISM AID" outfits approached me. They asked if I needed help. Surprisingly, to them I'm sure, my only question was "Where can I find maps?" They told me where (a bookstore) and I found my way there successfully! Thankfully, I asked where it was in the skyscraper before I went... Because it was in this thing over here. . . >>

Yeah, so it was actually in the basement, connected to the subway underground! Wouldn't it have been awkward if I had gone into the building full of business men in suits not knowing where I was going? But I didn't! So, good for me.

I bought my map, after walking around the huge (and I mean HUGE) bookstore, not knowing where to find it, and asking in broken Korean "지도 있어요?" (Jido isseoyo? = Is there a map?, or Do you have a map?). Score!
Then I ate my double chocolate donut I had bought.

Next I went to Cheonggyecheon, or Cheonggye Stream, since I saw it on my new map and I had seen it in a lot of dramas... yeah. It was pretty!




And then I made it all the way back to the apartment, with no problems! I just found a random station, read the map, and got on the subway. The right one, of course...

I love Koreans.


Ok, so I already knew that from having Korean friends at Tech... but I didn't know that pretty much all of them are so great! They're friendly, sweet, and kind (sometimes too much, ㅋㅋㅋ). Much more than the people I've ever met travelling elsewhere. Most kind people want your money in Europe. On the subway home from my solo travels, I was standing next to where a 할아버지 (grandfather/little old man) was sitting. The benches were full, but when a man sitting next to him left, I didn't notice. The cute old man kindly tapped my arm and waved me into the seat next to him before anyone else got it. It was a small gesture, but it nearly made me cry. I was just a random foreigner, and he decided to show me kindness... When he left, he gave me the head nod/bow thing Koreans do (and now I do it automatically, too ㅋㅋㅋ). And then there was the woman who said I was pretty to Si Yeon's mother when we were eating. And there was another old man on a subway who asked me where I was from. And another girl who said I was pretty (in Korean, while staring at me, ㅋㅋㅋ) then she asked my age and I got a little creeped out... but they're all super sweet! Just like my lovely friends at Tech. Every time I see a person with hair or glasses or some feature like one of them, I miss them a little! But I would rather miss them than not, if you know what I mean... Of course I miss my other friends, it's just much harder to be reminded that they're far away, since I don't see people like them everyday. :-)
And don't even let me get started on Paul's family! They are wonderful. I met his other sister and her family the other day, the kids are fun and the adults are lovely. I'm wondering where Paul got his personality...? ㅋㅋㅋ, just kidding!!! Paul's awesome because he suggested for me to stay with them!

This takes me back...


On Saturday, the 11th, I toured Seoul with Paul's oldest sister and her two sons (8 and 12), and it was quite an adventure! There are pro's and con's to travelling both alone and with people. The pro's of travelling alone are being able to take as much or as little time as you like at places, you can go where you want, you don't have to deal with other people's annoyingness, you can take as many pictures as you want, etc. The con? Loneliness. Of course, travelling with people (especially children...) is the exact opposite. But it's fun to be with people (especially children, ㅋㅋㅋ) so I still don't know which I like more!
We went around Seoul to a few of the palaces: 덕수궁, 창경궁, 창덕궇, and 경희궁 (Deoksugung, Changgyeonggung, Changdeokgung, and Gyeonghuigung)


I
Alright! I'm out!

-레이첼

Music video of the day:

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, did you take all of the pictures on this blog yourself/with your camera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did :-)
    Though, as you can tell, they're very edited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog and the music video which is longer than the ones I normally see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just impressed that you took all of them, they look like ones you can get on Google Images.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts! Or make fun of my ridiculousness! Or encourage me! It's your choice.